Anxiety associated with separation from loved ones, storms, car rides, etc. plagues many of our furry friends. Solutions like desensitization therapy, soothing pheromones, and prescription drugs can help provide relief, but there is another technique that is catching on with pet parents.
Not only is it simple and safe, it is also highly effective and totally free!
The calming technique is known as the “half wrap” and all you need to pull it off is a scarf or an Ace bandage – items most people already have in their homes.
Check out this helpful video to learn how to achieve the half wrap with your own nervous pooch!
For best results, follow these tips:
- Use a scarf or sports wrap that smells like you – dogs are naturally soothed by items that carry the scent of their favorite human!
- If your dog is not comfortable wearing the wrap, do not force it! This will only add to his or her stress.
- Be sure that you can comfortably slide your hand underneath all areas of the wrap. If you can’t, it is too tight!
- Only leave the wrap on for 10 – 15 minute intervals to prevent habituation.
- Never leave your dog unattended while wearing a half wrap! The material could get caught on something or pose a choking hazard.
For those times when your pooch is home alone, a safe way to ease his stress is by using a Comfort Cuddler, a snuggly toy that smells like you!